[Opensim-users] Tibetan Classroom OAR

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:45:57 UTC 2010

Namaste :)

Just to clear up any confusion about oar files - they are simple compressed
xml representations of the regions' content and the assets required to
reproduce them. The xml embeds object coordinates; the coordinates are taken
directly from the objects.

As a result, it is certainly possible to load oars of one size and
configuration on opensim instances of a different size and configuration.
Results are predictable but not necessarily desirable. Terrains may exhibit
bizarre artifacting and objects may be 'off-world'  if the oar size exceeds
the target region size on any given axis.

Which brings us to coordinates: there is no practical use of a notation like
"+/-128" in this context. I've never seen it used before and it is clearly
leading to some confusion in this instance.

In opensim, region coordinates (the coordinates used to position regions on
the grid), are in meters. Region cells (a subunit in opensim who's
distinction is not meaningful in secondlife), are 256 meters on a side
(identical to a canonical secondlife region). All objects in canonical
region will have x/y coordinates that satisfy the condition
'255>coordinate>0'. These may be combined into megaregions.

When a megaregion is in use, all the objects on the megaregion will, under
normal circumstances, be present in the root region's database tables. They
will have x/y coordinates that satisfy the condition
'(subregions_along_the_axis*255)>coordinate>0'.

Diva Cantu has a workflow for merging simple regions and their contents into
a single megaregion. I have not experienced success in my attempts with this
workflow; this doesnt mean it is not effective; it means my attempts with it
haven't been. That said, I'd suggest making backups at critical points in
the process to avoid loss of content.

I hope I have brought light into the shade with this post :)

Cheers!
James

--
http://osgrid.org http://simhost.com