[Opensim-users] configuring the log files

Mic Bowman cmickeyb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 08:03:01 UTC 2010

a discussion on the opensim IRC today left me wondering if most people are
missing information on configuring the logging in OpenSim. if you're running
a simulator you've probably run across the OpenSim.exe.config file. and
possibly even changed the logging level from Debug to something less
verbose. i thought i'd pass on another tip... you can set up log file
rotation by adding another appender to the configuration (this gets around
the problem of having *really* big OpenSim.log files lying around). add the
following just after the close tag ("</appender>") for the
"LogFileAppender":

    <appender name="LogFileRotate"
       <file value="OpenSim.log-" />
       <rollingstyle value="Date" />
       <appendToFile value="true" />
       <maximumFileSize value="500KB" />
       <maxSizeRollBackups value="5" />
       <staticlogfilename value="false" />
       <datePattern value="yyyy-MM-dd" />
        <conversionPattern value="%date{HH:mm:ss} %-5level - %logger
%message%newline" />
      </layout>
    </appender>

and then add change the root tag like this:

    <root>
      <level value="DEBUG" />
      <appender-ref ref="Console" />
      <appender-ref ref="LogFileRotate" />
    </root>

that will create the log files of the form OpenSim.log-yyyy-mm-dd with a
maximum size of 500KB. we run multiple simulators & put all our logs into a
single directory by changing the <file> tag to point to the log directory.

this configuration was inspired by the examples in the log4net wiki:
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/config-examples.html

--mic