[Opensim-users] Banning "bad" viewers was Re: Can this be done?

John Ward jward at uci.edu
Fri Jan 15 18:21:48 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 09:37 PM, Bill wrote:
> Earlier today I used a
> Seamonkey browser and was prevented from transacting business because of
> using it. My desire to use a particular browser, Seamonkey, was denied.
> I certainly didn't want to harm the company that owned or hosted the
> website. I guess since Seamonkey is used by more Linux/Unix users that
> all Seamonkey users are up to no good and deserve to be banned. My point
> is to ban based to ID strings that are true or false is guilt by
> association just as it is in the above analogy for Seamonkey users.

You seem to be jumping to conclusions.  How do you know that Seamonkey
was denied because Seamonkey users are presumed bad?  Have you
considered the business may have other reasons?  They may only want
browsers accessing that they have tested their pages with thinking it
will cut down on support calls?  Does Seamonkey on Linux support
ActiveX?  Sometimes webpages tell you that you need ActiveX and sometime
they only let in IE.  Mostly that tells me to do business somewhere
else.  I don't see the need assume malice on anyone's part.