[Opensim-users] Old computers - was Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 17:41:21 UTC 2010

Heh heh - young upstart LOL

I started on a brand new IBM 1620 in 1964! It was an option for my "Calculators in Engineering" course.

Later I headed the project to put together one of the first "personal computers in 1972-1974. Well *I* think it WAS the very first - I just can't prove it!

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/mod8/index.htm

The one I was able to bring home for my kids to play on had a wirewrap backplane though, not the nice neat motherboard shown in the web site and York U museum. :-)

It could play a mean game of Tic-Tac-Toe but not a lot else. We sure tried though :-)

I had designed several of the MIL chips for the system earlier, this was actually seen as a way to sell those ICs. No one would believe that there was a market for these "toy" computers!

Karen