[Opensim-users] Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?

Master_Mirage mirage123 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 04:45:21 UTC 2010

Sadly like so many schemes that only works until some crook fakes the "do
not copy flag" or something similar.

Even something which is a "closely held" as the IPod has similar problems. I
did a search for Ipod apps on Pirate Bay the other day.

They are always a good check of what works and what doesn't!

I found more than 1000 items, including all kinds of MP3s, software, and
"hacks"!

Many many very competent people have worked on Digital Rights Management
(DRM), but as far as I know there has never been any solution worth the
trouble and hassle involved!

That doesn't stop the snake oil salesman from claiming to have "the
ultimate" solution of course.We are seeing that on Second Life right now.

Karen
I agree to a point. I tend to think in terms if asked "What have i done as a
grid oper. to help stop the spread of stolen content?" I have nothing to
show them sadly and thats scary as hell to me!
If as a grid op i can at least show a good faith attemp at prevention and
away to track it quickly to the user that broght it in. Id feel alot better
and prob. the users would be alot happyer knowing it too.

Something at this point is better than nothing i think.
:-)