[Opensim-users] Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?

Master_Mirage mirage123 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 02:43:09 UTC 2010

Actulay ill dabble in a bit of what IF here. 1st off blocking users or
clients isant the problem and as we know not effective really.
The problem is the content it selph has no safegurds.
In my way of thinking at this stage of opensimulator dev. We can add in
some.
One could be what ill call a 3rd state of perms. for example: I make a chair
i set it no copy. That could also set a 3rd state that sets a NO EXPORT FLAG
to the assest server. Now lets say i do want to give it away to anyone. So i
set it so anyone can copy. It would then drop the no export flag from the
oject and insted add the users water mark. That item can now be exported and
be traceable at the same time.

Other Opensimulators can test for the watermark and export flag used to
decide if it can be imported. (might help keep fakes out). Watermarks could
be portable for the user that can be used to authenticate them as the
creator and where it was 1st made evan if its on another grid.

Im shure i havent thought this thru well enough but i still feel protection
of content has to be part of the content its selph. At least the abuilty to
do things like that would give Opensimulator the tools to make a good 1st
step twords anti-content theft.

I know all this is alot more complicated todo than it sounds and thats why
its just a What If .

:-)