[Opensim-users] IAR Files

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:32:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Tara Desoto <taradesoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
>   I just want to send out a word of caution to the users or potential users
> of the dodgy types of viewers that you have mentioned .  There is currently
> an SQL database being assembled with the names of users who are using these
> clients and apparently many of them have been banned .   Here is a link to
> the name list , just to show that its out there .
>

> http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:2tOCP9mcwU4J:pastebin.com/pastebin.php%3Fdl%3Dd4ac68943+insilico+copybot&cd=8&hl+en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
> ]
>

>   Please use caution with these viewers at the moment ,  unless you don't
> mind your name being gathered in a database .  Also please note that using a
> secondary avie  instead of your main avie  doesn't neccessarily protect your
> main avatar or any other avie that is being used by your IP .   General  IP
> bans are known to happen and you are lucky if your secondary avie is the
> only one that has been taken .   At the present time , it is probably best
> to steer away from these viewers unless you really know what you are doing
> and know or speak to the developer of the viewer .
>
> Kind Regards
> Tara

As with everything else, IP bans and avie bans can easily be circumvented.
Creating free Second Life accounts and using false "real names" as well as
using IP spoofers and even hardware MAC address spoofers is as easily found
online as the hacked viewers themselves.

When "backing up" my items in Second Life, my free account appeared to
originate in a completely different country and the IP address was likewise
some random data, like 123.45.67.890.

It's been proven since the dawn of Pirate Radio Stations that nothing will
stop those who desire doing something they want to do, no matter what it
is.  As usual, it's those of us wanting a proper tool to use for our own
legitimate means who wind up getting shafted in the end.  Pun intended.  :)

- Len