[Opensim-users] Question about IAR files

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:04:21 UTC 2010

As others have mentioned, there are still a few disadvantages, even with
hacked viewers such as CryoGen.  For example, scripts and any content
contained within an object are not saved.  This is not a huge issue with me
as the bulk of my objects are either scriptless, or else contain only a few
basic scripts in repetition such as door open/close scripts, basic avatar
sit scripts and a radio script here and there for some of my music-oriented
objects.

I must also say I'm very old-school, preferring to build using the
fundamental prim-based tools.  Many pieces of my furniture are very
intricately detailed, but they are also built using an unbelievable number
of prims.  With the desire for fewer prims and more detail, many designers
these days use sculpts, or "sculpties".  Since the core design of a sculptie
is a prim that uses a sculpt map, which in essence is just a bitmap image,
then tools like CryoGen are "almost" completely worthless.

What one must do in this case is separately "rip" the textures - which
include the sculpt maps, and then import those into OpenSim alongside the
XML files CryoGen creates.  Otherwise, the CryoGen-copied sculpties will
essentially rematerialize in OpenSim is a mass of non-descript "bubbles" or
sculpt-prims with missing sculpt-map textures that would normally tell them
what shape to take on.

Also, along the same lines, CryoGen itself simply replicates
prim-coordinates of items and attachments, but not all the textures
involves.  So when the import into OpenSim is made, the object usually is
textureless.  However, CryoGen does also record how a texture is oriented,
repeated, etc on all the surfaces of each prim in a prim-set.  So manually
restoring textures is generally fairly simply and when the texture is
re-applied to the proper surfaces, it's alsoready oriented as it had been
originally.

The reason I'm giving all this detail is that maybe, someone with more
understanding of the hacked viewer source code than I might be willing to
undertake and aspire to overcome the few minor limitations presented here
and see about making a true, genuine, and legitimate backup tool that we can
all use without getting banned for simply trying to preserve our own hard
work.

- Len