[Opensim-users] Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at hp.com
Sat Feb 20 20:38:35 UTC 2010

On 02/20/2010 02:19 PM, Steve wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> In fact, I have been using Linux on and off for 20 years (I originally
> started with Debian on Amiga) - but in recent years I've run a desktop
> version, and found little need to get involved with permissions.
> Nevertheless, I think you may be on to something, although I understood
> that /home folder permissions would be set for the user, and not root.
> I'll check this.
>
> I'm not actually running as root, but running the OS as a user. However,
> I have to sudo the OpenSim server to get it working. This is what I'm
> not keen on.
>
> Steve

What error specifically are you seeing when you run the binary as a
regular user? There's no reason I'm aware of that it should require root
privileges to run.  One thing to watch for is files that may have been
created as root when you ran that way that are now not accessible as a
regular user.

Mike