[Opensim-users] MySQL on seperate server?

Master_Mirage mirage123 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 19 20:44:04 UTC 2010

This brings to mind the classic "Thing King" story

http://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cgi?file=TheThingKing

This text was originally written as serious position paper circa 1965 by an
IBM research team working on the idea of Virtual Memory.

They did actually use this terminology in describing their project! It was
really weird listening to a talk by these folks. :-)

While it seems humorous today, it does give one of the best descriptions of
the operation of virtual memory that I have ever seen!

I the relevence to the idea of a "historical" asset base should be obvious.

Any form of "historical" database is directly a tradeoff between "expensive"
memory and complexity. However it too will have some finite limit to its
size!

My thought is that some local grid (or maybe even client!) index of "this is
the stuff that I use" might serve the purpose without getting into the
"never delete anything" trap.

This too has some issues with malicious clients/grids. Having the "untrusted
guy" merely handle an index key rather than the actual asset data would seem
to solve most of the problems.

Karen