[Opensim-users] MySQL on seperate server?

John Mieske johnmieske at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:34:43 UTC 2010

If you want to see how smooth it is for a 4 Region Mega-Region server on one
computer and an SQL on another computer just head to my site and you can see
for yourself how smooth it is..
If you want me to meet you there I can and turn on build for you and you can
see how fast you can build a small house and you will see the big difference
yourself on how smooth it is..

If your talking about cost, I have one server that is 40 for my main region
and one server that cost 6 bucks for my SQL .. BOTH of these are VPS so
think about that for a second. Its only costing 46 total and I can then add
more regions to it with no problems for an additional 6 bucks of which I can
have 4 more regions to run smoothly.. Keep in mind, NO ONE needs to tie
their regions to your SQL. They would only talk to your Main region server
IP ONLY. Thats only for the USER authentications AND you can have them add
more regions without it bogging your SQL or regions down. I am working on
the tutorial on all this.

Now some have 128 regions on one server.. but keep in mind, that is
DEDICATED if you want smoothness. I am showing you numbers from VPS.. So if
you dont have the bandwidth at home, goto a place that hosts a VPS OR
Dedicated server and you can go from there. I personally HATE lag, so this
is why I went this route.

http://johnmieske.org
John

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Ken G. <kenearlg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dumb question from a casual opensim user who is not fully clued in on it's
> workings, that popped into my head after reading John Mieske's Space Grid
> Station post:
>
> Is it feasible and sensible while running opensim on a home PC connection
> to be able to use a MySQL database on a shared web hosting server, such as
> Hostgator for example? If possible, would this type of setup improve
> performance of a lightly used standalone or grid-connected sim?
> I haven't put much thought into this idea, just wanted to blurt it out and
> see if it's worth pursuing.

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station