[Opensim-users] freeswitch problems (talk button)

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Fri Feb 5 03:04:11 UTC 2010

We have built a freeswitch server but I am having problems accessing
it from home. here are the things that have been done and work:

 1. Freeswitch server installed on Machine X
 2. Using SL client 1.23.5 (the latest production version), I can
     log into opensim also on X and the Talk button is present (and can be
     pressed). The SL client is set to have voice active. The server
     and opensim combination seems to work.
 3. Using the same SL client from another location (home) and
     logging to X, the Talk button is greyed-out (the shadow
     of the button); however, all other opensim functions work (navigation,
     etc). The only difference between this and the previous trial was where
     the client is started (i.e., at work where it is fine, and at home
where it
     is a problem).
 4. A couple of other people have tried the client to X from their homes
and the
     talk button appears.

I have duplicated the problem in step #3 with two different clients at
home (windows 7 and a mac). I would think that this points to a port
forwarding issue; however:

 a) I've never had to set up port forwarding on a client program (only
server
     programs such as the FreeSwitch server, Opensim, Mysql, Apache, etc).
 b) The other people who have gotten it to work also have routers at their
      houses

Has anyone else experienced the missing, of greyed out, Talk button issue
when connecting to opensim that is connected to a FreeSwitch server?

-p