[Opensim-users] the concept of "visitor"

John Mieske johnmieske at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 21:11:36 UTC 2010

I see what your saying Mirage. In the future if they made it where the Sim
could run a script that would be good. but for now, you can use the method I
mentioned.  I hope this does push openSim forward. This would be a big step
in the right direction.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Master_Mirage <mirage123 at verizon.net> wrote:

> correct! and in the grand thought of this. Not everthing is CORE.. thats
> the
> point and the cool part. CORE Opensimulator is that. it is flexable and
> complex. Id bet my last dime on kick ass stuff ppl will make from the
> core!.
> Its made to be that and as complex as it is. It has tobe flexable to matter
> at all :)
>
> John Mieske wrote:
> >
> > why not add a PHP file that does this all for you ?  Example : They click
> > button that says Visitor John. It gives them a temp user and PW with full
> > instructions to their e-mail. They log in. Now the timer on the PHP can
> > delete the temp user and PW after 24 hours. You can even have a php that
> > refreshes every hour that checks the database and removes the temp users
> > that has no need to be there. Make sure you create a seperate database
> for
> > the time limit so that it wont have to be added to the MAIN SQL database.
> > If
> > the "extra" SQL databse has the name and user's time stamp ready for
> > deletion then it removes it from the MAIN database for the name and PW
> and
> > then goes back to the temp and removes it there too. So two databases
> with
> > name and PW to show which is fake.
> >
> > This can be done in many ways. Just a thought.
> >
> > John Mieske / Sonya Penucca
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Paul Fishwick
> > <fishwick at cise.ufl.edu>wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to open up one of our worlds to the general public by
> >> allowing people
> >> to log in as visitors. This is related to the "anonymous login" and has
> >> been discussed
> >> in various forms, but here is the concept - not sure if anything exists
> >> yet in trunk to
> >> support this:
> >>
> >> 1. A user logs in using whatever name they want. If authentication is
> >> turned off, this is
> >>   no problem. However, what would be ideal is that when the user logs
> >> off, any trace
> >>   of them is removed from the database-- they do not persist.
> >>
> >> 2. When the user logs in, they have access to the Library part of the
> >> inventory, but are
> >>    unable to load any assets to the server, thus they would have
> >> nothing under "My Inventory"
> >>    or be able to copy items from the Library or the world into My
> >> Inventory. The Library
> >>    would contain all necessities (clothing, basic objects and scripts
> >> that they require
> >>    in the space).
> >>
> >> 3. The user cannot build on the island but can run scripts and navigate
> >> performing full
> >>    interaction.
> >>
> >> #1 is not a huge issue since I would imagine that the incremental space
> >> allocation for
> >> users just means additional rows in the user/agent tables -- shouldn't
> [...]

John Mieske / Sonya Pencuca
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station
"Religion - The art of killing people to prove who's imaginary friend is
better."