[Opensim-users] Google Earth for the Human Body

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 14:29:54 UTC 2010

I'm not in charge of moderating this list and I will of course honor the
guidance of those who do, but I'd like to respectfully voice an objection.
  I think the original post is of great interest to the community of opensim
users.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes to see the opensim community
continue to grow, and a key component of any community's growth is having
communication channels to share relevant information.  In my view, something
does not have to be *only* about opensim to be relevant, useful, or of
interest to the opensim userbase.  And yet in the few months I've been
subscribed I've seen several users chastised for sharing relevant
information.  It's very unwelcoming and surprising to a newcomer.

Perhaps it might be helpful for whoever is in charge to write some kind of
introductory description on the opensim-users listserv
page specifically noting the strict posting guidelines.  I have participated
in zillions of listservs in my time and I don't think I've ever seen one as
restrictive as this one about topicality.   I think it's unfortunate and a
poor choice if the goal is community growth, but if that is the way it is
then that should be very clearly communicated on the listserv sign up page
so at least people will understand that this user list is not like other
user lists they may have used where broader information sharing is
encouraged.

Communicating the forum boundaries in advance is far better than (sometimes
rudely) chastising people who are trying to share relevant information in
good faith and had no way of knowing that it wasn't welcome.

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088