[Opensim-users] web-on-a-prim, osSetDynamicTextureUR is very slow

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 23:45:34 UTC 2010

On 10/12/10 16:50, Hao Liu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to load an image on a prim with osSetDynamicTextureURL takes up to
> 60/100 sec to completely render the image!
> However using ParcelMediaCommands works really fast, even retreaving
> textures from external URIs.
>
> Anybody know how to solve this problem? I need to use
> osSetDynamicTextureURL because I need to show multiple media. Thanks.

osSetDynamicTextureURL and ParcelMediaCommands with URIs use completely different mechanisms.  osSetDynamicTextureURL
gets the image from the url and encodes it into jpeg2000 on the server, before it gets transmitted to the viewer.

Parcel media sends the url to the viewer and the viewer fetches the image directly from the url.  This is vastly quicker.

Having said that, osSetDynamicTextureURL shouldn't take 60-100 seconds.  Which version of OpenSim are you using?  afair,
due to various bugs 0.6.9 took a long time until the client fully received a texture.  Subsequent releases are much better.

If you're using Viewer 2 (unlikely) you could also try using media on a prim instead, which uses the same direct
approach as parcel media and allows you to show multiple media.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org