[Opensim-users] Updated basic region module documentation in wiki and source tree

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 4 03:19:18 UTC 2010

Hi folks.  Since the topic has come up a few times recently, I thought that I'd take a bit of time today to update the
'how to create a region module' documentation in the wiki.  You can find this at

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/RegionModules

This now references use of the newer ISharedRegionModule and INonSharedRegionModule region module mechanism.  There are
examples of how to create the bare bones of each type of region module.

As is so often the case, writing this took longer than expected and the old parts on how to actually manipulate and
receive events from OpenSim are still inaccurate.  This is a very large topic :)

I also didn't get time to update the tutorial, which is an even bigger task.

However, what I have done is actually put live example code in the source tree in Git master.  You can find this at
OpenSim/Region/OptionalModules/Example.  To see a very bare bones shared or non-shared region module working you just
need to uncomment one line and recompile.  In principle, this could be an easy starting point for someone writing their
own module, though if you are doing this seriously I recommend copying the code to addon-modules (another mechanism
which needs to be documented :).

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org