[Opensim-users] Re Hatching: Real life Terrain

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 03:58:05 UTC 2010

I asked this before, and I did get a good reply from a user on the list
named, Marcus Llewellyn.  His links helped, and I was able to find the
srtm data I wanted from a file called srtm_62_07.zip.  I realize this is
not the best in resolution.  but I want to find out for sure.  Has
anyone found a way to get accurate land elevations to a real life
scale.  Or is everyone that uses SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topology Maps) or
GIS to make region height maps only making mini model scaled down
versions of the real life land scapes?

I was hoping for a real life 1:1 of the land elevations of a mile to fit
a 7x7 equal to a 1792 x 1792 area with Shuri Castle in it's center.
Yes, Shuri Castle, Okinawa, Japan.

Any ideas on how to do this for open sim?  I don't want to make a mini
model of the entire Ryukyu Island chain.  I only want the area with the
Castle at the 130 meters above sea level and the rivers, lakes and ponds
of the area around it.  From what I read, it seems like it might be
impossible, but I may have misunderstood.

Thanks for your time on this.  I wanted to know before my eyes fall out
searching the net.  ;)