[Opensim-users] How to export to OpenSim

peter host virtualregions at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 01:53:15 UTC 2010

Hi Diogo

As Karen pointed, there's no easy way to take a polygonal/nurbs/subdiv
mesh to Opensim

Sketchlife for sketchup, some scripts for Maya that i've tested, all
simulate the built-in SL/Opensim " building" methods :
- textured primitives
- textured primitives with a displacement map (sculpt map, or
sculpties) which enable non standard shapes, with limitations. You
have to slice your model in several parts and try and make a sculpty
from each part (like a sphere with a displacement map, no more than
64x64) and try and align the displaced shapes and textures on the
compound object. Sketchup or other tools can help you there (one
texture spread other multiple objects).

All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good support for Meshes are
one of the most users-awaited features in OS/SL