[Opensim-users] Tidied up and centralized performance information to wiki page

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 24 23:53:48 UTC 2010

Hi folks.  I just spent a little time centralizing what performance information and hints exist on the wiki page

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Performance

Although there are some excellent recent studies from Intel, data as to how much CPU / Ram / Disk / Network is required
is very thin on the ground, perhaps because requirements are affected by just what you want to do (lots of prims may
require as much memory as possible and good graphics cards on clients, while lots of avatars may need more cpu).

So it's not too good at answering that perennial question - "what hardware do I need to run OpenSim?".  But it might
still be worth pointing people at this page.

Of course, generally speaking, the more hardware you can throw at OpenSim the better :)

Please feel free to add to the page.  There is a basic table of peoples experiences with different
avatars/scripts/prims, etc. on different ram / cpu / OS configurations.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org