[Opensim-users] Groups

Gwyneth Llewelyn gwyneth.llewelyn at gwynethllewelyn.net
Tue Aug 24 20:28:48 UTC 2010

Hi Ben!

For groups to work, you need to have an external system set up to
support them. Currently, two ready-made solutions are available:

	- The code from the Flotsam group (http://code.google.com/p/flotsam/)
	- SimianGrid (http://code.google.com/p/openmetaverse)

(see: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7_Release)

I'm personally using Flotsam, which, in spite of some hiccups and
glitches, gives me about half of the group functionality :) — enough
for my purposes!

As for the changes to the avatar profiles not saving, I'm guessing
that you're using OpenSim 0.7.X, right? Since the introduction of
Hypergrid 1.5, profiles are now expected to work across *all* grids,
and thus, to allow that, like groups and economy, they require an
external service to work, too.

A few resources that implement this are on XoopenSim: http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?XoopenSim%20(E)

(or see: http://www.mail-archive.com/opensim-users@lists.berlios.de/msg04035.html)
  XoopenSim sort of integrates all this external functionality on the
Xoops Cube content managament system (http://xoopscube.org/).

If you just need the profile functionality, you might use osprofile.
This is one of the many external modules available here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Webinterface

Have fun :)

	- Gwyn

On 2010/08/24, at 19:32, Ben Faust wrote:

> I'm running OpenSim on Linux Fedora as stand-alone. Groups are
> enabled in the OpenSim.ini, but can't be created (or the test group
> left). Does anyone recognize this problem and have a solution? Also
> (maybe related or unrelated), changes to an avatar's profile don't
> save, nor can land be sold (for OS$0). I'm probably overlooking
> something small and obvious! Everything else seems to be working
> quite well (still working on openswitch for voice).

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
   -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08