[Opensim-users] Trying to get OpenSim to work behind a SonicWALL router/firewall

Gwyneth Llewelyn gwyneth.llewelyn at gwynethllewelyn.net
Sat Aug 14 09:39:33 UTC 2010

DutchGlory, many thanks for your quick reply!

You know, I'm ashamed of myself. As usual, I was totally on the wrong track.

While head-banging on the router configuration, I was opening the firewall
for all services on the SonicWALL, and suddenly a thought crossed my mind.
This Linux server has been in use for a while. Was it running iptables by
any chance?

Yes it was.

Did it have ports 9014/5 open for the two test regions I had created?

No it hadn't :( It was using an early configuration when our grid just had 6
sims, so naturally, only 9000-9006 were open...

Gosh now I really feel stupid for wasting your time :( I'm really, really
sorry!

At least, the good news is that SonicWALL can be added to the list of
supported routers for OpenSim... I will probably tweak its configuration to
make it a bit more "closed" (now I know I don't need to many ports open on
the router/firewall side!), and then I can add a Wiki page to show how it's
configured...

Again, my apologies for wasting your time :(

But thanks so much for the precious links, tips, and resources!

   - Gwyn (still ashamed at herself)

--
"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08