[Opensim-users] Several problem on scripting and physics

Tzu-Lun Wong twon069 at aucklanduni.ac.nz
Thu Aug 12 09:33:55 UTC 2010

Hi all, I've posted this on the OSgrid technical forum and was redirected
here.

I'm currently working on a project for an University on exploring opensim as
a possibility for a learning environment for physics. I've encountered
several problem on my local opensim region. (NOTE: all problem below are
encountered on the ODE physics engine)

1) Sometimes when object are set physical, it'll treat other object as
"phantom". For example, I've set up a platform (8m x 6m x 0.1m) floating in
mid air, and a lot of the time when I try to place anything physical on it,
the physical object will ignore the platform and fall through it. I can't
seen to find out why as I have tried various shapes and sizes and the
problem isn't consistent, sometime it doesn't fall through sometime it does.

2) When restarting my opensim server/region, all the object's script
disappears. This means I have to save everything into my inventory before I
close down the server and then rez them back and relocate them EVERY TIME.
Is this a known problem or is there a step where I missed that will save the
script before I quit the server?

3) This one is probably unsolvable unless there's an update on physic
engine. My partner on the same project made a pendulum that pivot on a
triangular shape. When the pendulum reaches it's highest peak on it's swing,
it shakes vigorously. After a long time the pendulum will eventually shift
position. I'm guessing this is due to rounding calculation on the contact
point of the pivot point when it reaches it's highest peak, causing the
pendulum to "shift-slightly" causing it to "shake".

Thanks