[Opensim-users] Safe to use IAR 0.7.x to 0.6.x?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:44:07 UTC 2010

On 08/08/10 00:18, Chris wrote:
> Hi all, I was wondering if it was "safe" to create an IAR from my
> avatar's inventory on my 0.7.x based OpenSim and reload it to 0.6.x
> based OpenSim (load the IAR to 0.6.9 Post-Fixes in particular).

That should work - the IAR format is identical in 0.6.9 and 0.7 and I'm pretty sure none of the contained asset formats
changed in an incompatible way.  Going back further than 0.6.9 might be problematic (though 0.6.8 is probably fine).

> Reason I am asking is because I tried this once with trying to load an
> IAR created on 0.6.9 to 0.6.7 and noticed some asset losses, missing
> inventory from the loaded archive, and just all around general weirdness.

This was the period in which the initial phase of the format was under active and more experimental development.  So I'm
not too surprised if there are compatibility issues in loading 0.6.9 IARs into 0.6.7.

I will probably introduce some guarding so that older OpenSim versions spit out errors if they try to load a newer
incompatible format, rather than go ahead with possible data lossage later on.

> I am testing out 0.7.0 Post-Fixes now and I would like to load back the
> new stuff that I have created in 0.7.0 into 0.6.9 should I feel that I
> should stick with 0.6.9 for a bit longer. I just wanted to be sure there
> would be no asset/inventory losses in doing so.
>
> Thank you!

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc