[Opensim-users] Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala BETA with Opensim 0.9.8 Diva

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 03:24:31 UTC 2009

I have just finished installing OpenSim Diva onto the Ubuntu 9.10 I385\6 Beta release using a VirtualBox machine. Host machine is an Intel Core7 machine running 64bit Ubuntu 9.04.

Good news is that all of the preliminary tests appear to work with no problems! The Karmic installs use updated versions of mono and MySql with the "standard" Ubuntu supported packages - just cut and paste the examples in the README.txt and it works! Intrepid (9.04) required you to override the defaults and install updated versions of both.

"Bad" news is that it appears that you need to install "mono-complete" (that's source code, ALL libraries, and every option!) since OpenSim (dynamically!) asks for "Microsoft.JScripting" and that is not part of the standard mono install!

My testing is ongoing and I will be porting more results as I get them.

My "near term" goal is to end up with a "virtual package" that can be uploaded to a remote server.  My expectaion is to use a Ubuntu server version (9.10 or the 8.04 LTS release - TBD) with the latest stable version of OpenSim, plus a virtual terminal package using SSH to control the whole thing.

Suggestions welcomed - I am a graphics geek, not an IT geek! :-)

If there is interest I will build a ready to run "virtual appliance" from that version and post it wherever that is appropriate.

Karen
Make YOUR corner of the world a better place today! :-)