[Opensim-users] Change axis point

Bob Wellman bob.wellman at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 11:17:31 UTC 2009

Hi Krishna

To make a door create a cube prim with these sizes:

x= twice width of door

y= twice thickness of door

z= height of door

Next set Path Cut like this:

B=0.125

E=0.375

This now means the cut prim (door) is a quarter of the original prim and the whilst the axis is in the middle of the original prim it is now down the edge of the cut prim. Rotating the prim using a script will cause it to hinge around this edge axis. Doors are always hinged at one corner like this in RL so it will act like a RL door.

If I may give some advice here, I would say placing doors correctly is important too and often forgotten. Doors usually open into a room not outwards and are usually fixed to a door frame which is wider than the wall its in. The door is always less thick than the frame. The doors inside face should be flush with the face of the door facing the inside of the room with the axis/hinge of the door where the inside face of the door meets the door frame. This will mean the door opens naturally, whether you open it 90 degress or 180 degrees, without part of the door disappearing into the door frame or wall. When you are outside the room and the door is open 90 degrees you will see the doors edge. Compare that to RL and you will see it is correct. I guess this sounds picky but try it and you will see how much more satisying it is to see a door act like a RL door.

Hope this helps and happy door building... Bob