[Opensim-users] How is "Date/Time" Recorded in the Database?

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 19:53:45 UTC 2009

WARNING:

     Thankfully I am religious about making backups.  I made a backup of my
database just before asking about the time/date question.

     I just tried this twice to make sure it is not a quirk...

     I shut down OpenSim.  Then went into the database and changed the
"birthday" of my avatare to 1257076800 which is November 1, 2009 12:00:00
(noon).  I then saved the change in the database then restarted OpenSim.

Two things:

     My avatar is the default Ruth (with a birthday of Nov 1)

     My entire inventory is gone.

Again, thankfully I had a backup (whew!).  I shut everything down and
restored from backup twice - both times logging in and  my custom avatar was
intact.  Each time I changed the birthday in the database it turned my
avatar to Ruth and killed my entire inventory.

     I'm guessing "maybe" the issue is that the time stamp I gave the avatar
is prior to the time stamp when I actually set everything up - it was in the
late evening of Nov 1st.

     So at least I have a backup - so everything is running perfectly again.

     Any suggestions on why the date change for teh AV killed everything
else?

     Of note also - everything in-world was still there, and the textual
stuff I'd added to my avatar's profile was also intact.

- Len W. Brown
     lenwbrown at gmail.com