[Opensim-users] How to create a full backup

Torrid Luna torrid at primforge.com
Wed Jun 24 14:22:50 UTC 2009

Hi Olli, hi @all,

Also sprach Olli Aro (olli_aro at yahoo.co.uk):

> My version does not have bin directory or _Config.xml files. I assume they
> have been removed in later versions?

You don't have (or need) the *_Config.xml if you don't run your own
UGAIM-Server. Also, if your Opensim runs from a precompiled / downloaded
snapshot, the bin-Directory usually is your opensim-Directory (where you
find the Opensim.exe).

Here's a snippet from my current update script:

BCKPFILES="config-include/ *Server_Config.xml estate_settings.xml
AssetInventoryServer.ini Hypergrid/ Regions/ *\.db OpenSim.ini
startup_commands.txt mysql_connection.ini"

> Also, I noticed that some of the data such as inventory is stored in XML.

There are currently 4 useful ways to backup Sim content: XML, OAR,
dumping the database content into SQL, or saving the DB binaries
directly. (Note, this is only the data, not the configuration files, see
above.)

For the virtyou MetaGrid we run nightly snapshots via OAR and PNG, and
weekly sql dumps of the MySQL databases. All config files are backupped
before each version update of the Opensim binaries.

> So, if I backup all XML files, opensim.ini and the database, would that be
> enough to restore?

No. ;-) At least you need to add the config-include/ directory, for
current installations. Also I decided to refrain from doing binary DB
copies, since this is virtyoually unparsable in case of an error.
Instead we mirror all databases to another server and do plain (and
slow) SQL dumps there.

Cheers,
Torrid
--
Excerpts of "10000 Shell Scripts" -- today: monkeytypewriter
$ cat /dev/random | strings | fmt | less