[Opensim-users] Making Viewer Portable

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 02:47:31 UTC 2009

Hey there everyone!

     Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual World
Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate MySQL
server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation
directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when
I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a
different computer.

     I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
(I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so
that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim
is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact
when going from system to system.

Thanks for any input on this!

- Len W. Brown
     lenwbrown at gmail.com