[Opensim-users] Database cleanup

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 10:29:30 UTC 2009

Actually I was hoping to find some neat script somewhere that just fixed the problem forever.

Well I can dream at least ...

They say that a true programmer is someone who spends a week automating a 20 minute problem and feels good about the result :-)

I suspect that I will have to end up with multiple databases though. An "experimental" one and a "build things" one.

Probably isolated in dedicated virtual machines like I do with software tryouts.

It is amazing how many Windows problems go away when an app is the ONLY one installed on a VM for example. That strategy has also served me well in isolating trojans and "backdoors" in commercial software. So far no major packages (like the infamous Turbo-Tax DRM that permanently crippled your machine a few years ago), but I use and beta test a wide range of stuff and it amazing what you find sometimes.

Karen