[Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 08:01:40 UTC 2009

I am not sure that separate repositories really solves this problem though.

At least a central repository can delete/not post any content that is known to be pirated.

As a retired IP attorney I too am very sensitive to the piracy issue, but it is not an easy one to solve and I highly doubt that OpenSim will be the place to even try to solve it!

Probably the best we can do is to follow the lead of the ethical sites which distribute content openly. The various Linux distro sites are a good example of this, they do quite a good job in policing pirated content.

In our context, the legitimate backup tools that are appearing (including iar) take some pains to preserve or at least check that the user is either the content originator or has the appropriate permissions. SecondInvetory and Meerkat both perform these checks presently.

Certainly any mechanism can be defeated, but I doubt if we can do any better than removing anything identified as pirated and warning/banning persistent offenders. This is the mechanism used elsewhere.

The problem comes with stuff that is not a copy, but is similar.

For example I am sure the chairs that I created almost a year ago when I started with OpenSim are very similar to those created within SL by others. There really are only a very few ways to build a chair, even with texturing variants!

For the moment an "honor system" as proposed by Adam should be adequate while the OpenSim user group is relatively small, but inevitably we will have to add somehting more formal as the group grows. Sooner or later the "bad apples" are going to appear!

For now though, lets just get something going as Adam suggests!

Karen