[Opensim-users] Anyone else experience this?

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 17:41:06 UTC 2009

I have been trying to isolate and analyse an edit bug for some time now.

I am finally convinced that it is really a bug and not something to do with my setup so I have submitted a mantis bug report:

0004423: Editing of linked prims attached to an Avatar skull produces strange results
Description 	This first appeared when editing prim hair, but produces similar results with any object that is attached to part of the head (e.g. nose, ear, mouth). After a series of edits (approx 10-15) the object (hair) becomes "phantom" and becomes invisible when edit mode is terminated. There appears to be no way to recover apart from rebuilding the object.

The actual symptoms vary, for example a pair of eyeglasses (attached to the nose) caused the AV's entire body to become invisible. The linked prims in another object was separated into the "top" prim (stayed attached to the head) while the rest of the object was moved a long way away!

The mode of the edits does not seem to matter, typically hair requires considerable "fitting" to the head to look right. This requires movement in X,Y and Z as well as rescaling.

The same problem has arisen when experimenting with hair color and texture however.

Karen