[Opensim-users] www.opensimworlds.com

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:35:22 UTC 2009

Robert Klein <rtkwebman at gmail.com> wrote:
>*sigh* I guess it will not load as is in 0.6.4 then. I may try loading it in
>a test 0.6.8 then re-oar it out with just the buildings. All I really need
>are those buildings! :)

Robert, the OpenVCE assets OAR was built on 0.6.5.1 via a region on
New World Grid.

Karen Palen <karen_palen at yahoo.com> write:
>That is about what I got, plus a couple of boxes full of objects and
>textures on the platform.
>
>Look at it as building blocks for a new sim - there is a lot of
>stuff hidden around there!

Karen, I assume you mean that in a good way... and are not referring
to things we have left as clutter underground?  We did tidy up a few
lost items from the builds that had shot up to 768m as is common!

Here is a bit more information for those interested in the assets...
http://openvce.net/vwassets

The main buildings are rezzed ready to copy on the region using a
smallish number of elements for the main buildings where necessary
(we found that better than trying to do auto-rezzing using builders
buddy just now), and in the boxes are textures, orientation signs,
landscaping elements.  A few other useful things like flags of the
worlds, and two buildings from other open source developers that we
have found useful on our education and collaboration sims are on a
rack near the central plaza. Also included is a "freeview" screen
using the usual open source Second Life script (version 1.2) but
modifed by us and other open source developers to add YouTube url
mapping, and fix a problem with media type setting in the original
script in recent versions of the SL viewer.

We assume people will take into inventory the buildings they want to
use for classrooms, meeting spaces, brain storming rooms, operations
centres and what not, and then build their own layout as they find it
most helpful.  The buildings are designed to be reskinned and
coloured very easily.

Note other element will be coming from the OpenVCE.net community
including new presentation screens that allow for web based upload of
PDF presentation, zipped sets of images, etc. We expect those also to
work in Opensim when released.

We thanks those in the Opensim community who have already contributed
and assisted us, and encourage anyone interested to join in and
contribute to the OpenVCE.net community via http://openvce.net -
although its initial focus is to support collaboration between
emergency responders, it is set up to allow other communities to eb
supported, and the whole Drupal based web and virtual web side to be
replicated and hosted by new communities.