[Opensim-users] grid operation

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sun Nov 30 21:16:35 UTC 2008

Yes, those are all functions of the 3D space service currently.
Scripting and backend modules provide programmable behavior for the
objects and agents in the 3D environment.
The scripts are stored in the asset server, just like all other assets.
They are brought in to the region when the region starts and run on the
same process that runs the region. When you create a new script in a
region, that script is cached in that region's asset cache (in memory),
and is sent to the asset server for persistent storage.

This is the current architecture. I remember vaguely someone suggesting
to move the script engine(s) to a different server, as an alternative
physical architecture. In that case, the region wouldn't cache the
scripts, they would go to that other server; only the effects of the
scripts would be seen inworld. Not sure how far that idea went.

This thread is making suspect that many people might be under the wrong
impression that just because they have their own region server connected
to someone's grid, they have 100% control over the assets in the region
and even in their inventories. That is not correct. The persistent
storage of everything is done in the grid-level servers, therefore under
the control of whoever runs those servers. If the asset server kaputs,
and there were no backups, you will loose just about everything you have
in your region and in your inventory. (This is true independent of who
has the control over the asset server, so maybe it's a good thing to
have them on someone else's asset server, you can blame someone else :-)