[Opensim-users] grid operation

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Sun Nov 30 16:47:28 UTC 2008

here are set of my assumptions. Let me know if they agree with
your understanding:

1. The region server handles a) all asset management for assets that
exist in,
    created-in or modified-in that region, b) all agent management of who
    is located in the region, and c) all messaging that occurs in that
region

2. The region server communicates to the grid server(s) when there is an
agent
    or asset region crossing (in or out of the region) or when there is
a teleport.
    Messages that occur near region boundaries communicate back to the
    grid server so that the grid may inform neighboring regions.

3. Inventory management of which assets are owned by agents is handled on
    the grid server side. The region server communicates back to the
grid servers
    when there is a change in inventory (new item or removed item) while the
    agent is in that region.

4. User management is handled by the grid server.

-p

Ideia Boa wrote:
> Your region server (the server on your pc) only take care of your
> region and is like a  receiver of the data send by the UGAIM servers
> in the GRID servers. In other words, your region send and receive data
> form de databases of the UGAIM servers instaled in the servers of the
> GRID which your region is connected.
>

> Paul Fishwick wrote:
>> Right. But what, exactly, are these servers doing?  I guess I am trying
>> to get at more of the architectural details of what types of messages are
>> sent among servers (over the network and to the database(s)). For
>> example, there are the UGAIM servers in grid mode. Does the grid's "A"
>> server hold all of the assets on your region that  you plugged into the
>> grid? Or does your region database (on the same computer as your
>> opensim.instance) take care of that?
>> -paul
>>

>> Ideia Boa wrote:
>>
>>> If you run 1 region in a grid, you only run OpenSim server, the others
>>> servers (User, Grid, Asset, Inventory and Message) are running on the
>>> Grid servers with the grid OpenSim server.

> --
> Best regards,
> Ideia Boa
> OpenSimPT
>
> Join the new 3D world revolution : http://www.opensimpt.com/

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu