[Opensim-users] bots

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 25 02:46:16 UTC 2008

Christa:

Diva Canto wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Those are libsl bots; they're probably used for testing opensim. I don't
> think that's what you want.

Right -- we use libsl for our SL work as well.
> The bots you're asking for can be done on the server side by
> implementing the IClientAPI.
Sounds good - look forward to looking into this..
> Examples.SimpleModule has some example
> code, but I think it's broken.

I'll take a look...
Thanks. Most of our Second China (SL) work involves bots that
pop and out of existence, move from A to B, "turntoward" and
respond to text commands (sent to the SL servers)... If this can
be done in OpenSim without too much difficulty, that would be great.

-paul

> hmm... I see another tutorial on my crystal ball... :-)
>
> Crista
>

> Paul Fishwick wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gotten bots to work in their regions or grids? I looked
>> at the code in \OpenSim\TestSuite (BotManager and PhysicsBot),
>> but couldn't get it to run. The OpenSim.Framework and OpenSim.
>> Framework.Console had to be removed from the VC# solution
>> and re-added. Then, a build created an application file under
>> obj\OpenSim.TestSuite. Running that application results in a
>> crash.
>>
>> The code doesn't have the right structure to operate as a region
>> module. Thoughts? I'd like to replicate what we are already doing
>> in Second Life in terms of moving bots around and getting them
>> to respond to client commands.
>>
>> -paul

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu