[Opensim-users] database question and issues

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:20:27 UTC 2008

Some questions on databases for OpenSim:

 (1) Does anyone have any statistics or insight on the relative efficiency
       of MySQL vs. SQLite ? I am using both but do not have enough assets
       to see a difference. I would guess that SQLite might be less
efficient
       when assets reach a certain level, but I have no idea what that level
       might be.

 (2) Has anyone experienced problems on Windows XP or Vista with MySQL
       timing out if left unused overnight? I have been reporting MySQL
       exceptions that occur only after the database has not been access
in a few
       hours---the database seems to go to sleep and OpenSim has problems
       reconnecting.

 (3)  Given (2), is there a convenient workaround, perhaps, where I
engage the
       access to the DB, and would be reflected in the server console
windows?
       Perhaps, an LSL script that changes a prim attribute every 30
seconds...hmm...
       maybe this is a worth a test later tonight. If this keeps the SQL
engine busy,
       this might be a quick solution.

Problem (2) is so serious that, for my installation, it makes using MySQL on
Windows unusable. It works fine with there is periodic activity, but
then leave
it alone for several hours, and reconnecting is a critical problem.

-paul

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120