[Opensim-users] objects undergoing continuous change

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 12 16:16:51 UTC 2008

Crista:

Diva Canto wrote:
> I have written a region module that does traffic simulation. Here's a
> video produced by my students:
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNDcurLP1w
This very impressive and nice use of OpenSim along the lines of what I
was thinking about. For teaching discrete event simulation, the entire
messaging
passing approach seems to lend itself well to this (assuming FIFO
ordering on event queues for a region). For continuous simulation,
your vehicles appear to be updating position at a decent frequency.
Did you use llSetPos() and was there a delay or did you run flat-out
at whatever the server could muster?

For some reason, my simple test was not good, perhaps because I was
moving too short a distance during updates. I'll retry again later tonight.

> That was back in late August; the opensim API has changed considerably
> since then and I haven't had time to update my module yet. I didn't
> use physics; it was all done with periodic updates to the objects'
> state, just like in traditional simulation. It works pretty well, only
> starting to break when there are more than 2 avatars in scene; the
> breakage is because we have the server behind a home DSL, so packets
> start getting lost.
Yes, I could see how too many updates could be a problem depending on
the server
and location of clients.

> In general, for doing tradional simulations forget about using inworld
> scripting. Even if the scripting engine was already working well,
> which is not, that introduces a lot of unnecessary overhead.
I suppose I was wondering whether the overhead could be removed or
minimized for
running standalone servers (or at least, servers with no more than 1 or
2 avatars)...
> Moreover, it also imposes a programming model that is an obstacle to
> simulations (for example, not being able to hold references to objects
> and having to interact with them via llSay functions).
Yes, having the option for direct referencing would be useful.
> The opensim API, on the other hand, is a joy to work with (how many
> times have I said this? :-)

When you say the opensim API are you referring to LSL, the C# interface,
or something else?
I've been using LSL, but haven't seen any docs on the C# API yet.

-p