[Opensim-users] [PROPOSAL]: Sim version filtering (was Re: Sim Version Filtering (re: Mantis #0002361...)

Sean Dague sdague at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:28:42 UTC 2008

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> PROPOSAL FOR SIM VERSION FILTERING
>
> Not being able to stop sim versions that implement obsolete comms interfaces from connecting to a grid is becoming an
> increasingly awkward problem.  As you can imagine, it leads to a high volume of support requests, particular if the grid
> is upgrading quite often (which is the case in large development test grids).
>
> There has been a proposal (in http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2361) to have the region server send its SVN
> revision number to enable filtering by the grid server.  However, I'm not a fan of this idea for the reasons outlined in
> the e-mails further below (ties us into a source control system, not necessarily present in binaries/source, not
> friendly to non OpenSim implementations).
>
> Therefore, I am going to propose that there is an interface version number in OpenSim.Framework.Servers.VersionInfo.cs.
>   This is separate from the OpenSim version, and would increase by 1 every time a change was made to OGS1 or interregion
> interfaces that was incompatible with older versions.
>
> So the sequence would be 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
>
> On region connection, the version number would be sent.  If it differs from that of the grid, the grid would refuse
> connection with a message advising version upgrade (or possibly downgrade)
>
> The advantages of this approach are that
>
> a)  We don't use the SVN revision number
> b)  Grid operators don't have to manually determine which regions are compatible
>
> The disadvantages are
>
> a)  Developers have to upgrade the number themselves.  I don't believe this is a huge burden.  It's also not a disaster
> if this is forgotton - one just upgrades it on the next commit.
>
> This may be the simplest thing that could possibly work whilst avoiding the disadvantages of using the SVN number.  One
> can get more elaborate (e.g. minor verion numbers for compatible changes) but I don't think the complication is
> worthwhile or known to be workable at this point.
>
> Comments?

+1 on this approach.  I like not using svn version, as that restricts
compatibility too much.  I also think we'll have a good success rate at
figuring out that something is destabalizing change.

I'd *highly* suggest this goes in before 0.6, so that 0.6 regions
participate in this system.  This will be important as a lot of people
will probably go to 0.6 when it comes out and get off the svn tracking
at that point.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade