[Opensim-users] Introduction, and a pile of questions

Matthew Caron matt at mattcaron.net
Wed Jul 23 15:31:19 UTC 2008

Hello list,

I have this crazy idea that interactive 3D virtual worlds are the future
of what folks are going to do on the internet in the next 5-20 years.
It's kind of like being around near the start of the apache project.

I will be reading:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hacking_OpenSim_for_fun_and_profit

and hope to be able to contribute something productive. My Resume/CV for
those interested:

http://www.mattcaron.net/resume/resume.html

If anyone has any other suggestions as to where my skills described
above may be best used, drop me an email off list.

However, I do have some questions:

(1) Is there a way to move things between grids? For starters, we can
ignore moving things from the Linden grid - I'm more talking about
proofing things on a local OpenSimulator instance and then uploading it
to another one. This may be just as simple as having 2 instances running
- one connecting to OSGrid and one which is just local (thing
development vs. production). Are there any resources talking about this?
I can't find anything on the wiki, and my google-fu fails me.

I have seen SecondInventory, but the problem is that this is
functionality which really should be part of a viewer. If we really want
this technology to be "infrastructure", then such functionality should
be a plugin to the viewer, and need to be as free and open as the
viewers are. If people can't freely move designs between grids, the
resulting fragmentation would be disastrous.

(2) Where do folks on this list hang out (besides the IRC channel)? Some
place on the Linden Grid? OSGrid?

Thanks in advance.