[Opensim-users] Opensim Reliable Upgrade Instructions

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 19 11:02:19 UTC 2008

Thanks Justin.  The latest nightly build does seem to be okay using
the standalone upgrade instructions, and keeps user inventories
now.  so maybe there was just a phase near the start of July where it
was broken?  These are the latest versions of the upgrade notes which
we continue to refine. If anyone has comments or experience send them
to me and I will eventually make a note for the Opensim and OpenlifeGrid Wikis.

Upgrading Opensim - Notes as at 19-Jul-2008

Never Delete your old Simulator until you are happy with your new one.

** DO THIS BEFORE RUNNING THE NEW VERSION FOR THE FIRST TIME !! **

STANDALONE SETUP WITH SQLITE

1. Extract the Opensim Zip to a new location

2. From you old location copy:

    Regions\*.xml
    AssetStorage.db
    estate_settings.xml
    InventoryStore.db
    OpenSim.db
    userprofiles.db
    regionassets.yap (if present, not in standalone)

    to your new location.

3. Run Opensim once and quit.

4. The NEW Opensim.ini written should be used as a basis (in case new
element are added) and your own changed entries edited in.

GRID SETUP WITH MYSQL

From: "Terry F." <terry at usfastweb.com>

1. Make a backup of your database.

2. Make a backup of your "Currently Running" build(s).

3. Copy/Paste the "NEW" bin file to the old folder, overwriting all.
(This will ensure you still have the "OLD" assets).

4. Check to be sure nothing "NEW" was snuck into the OpenSim.ini and
make sure all the settings are correct.

5. delete the addin-db-000 and addins folder.

6. Start it up.

7. If anything goes wrong... restore you backups until you figure out
your problem.