[Opensim-users] OpenSim load/save archive feature (highly experimental) now available for testing

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 21:12:58 UTC 2008

Hi there,

Over the last month or so I've been working on a feature to allow entire
regions to be saved and loaded to a single file.  This is similar to
load-xml2/save-xml2 except that all the necessary assets to fully
recreate the prims are also saved (textures, prim inventory items, etc).
  The terrain of the region is also saved and restored.

This is done using the commands save-oar/load-oar at the region console,
in a very similar manner to the user of save-xml2/load-xml2.

This is not intended to replace something like Second Inventory (since
the commands currently require region console access).  But I thought it
would be useful to be able to transport around everything needed to
recreate an entire region instead of just the prim xml.  This could be
used for passing OpenSim 'applications' around where an application is a
particular set of objects/scripts in a region.

More details are at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

This feature should be considered highly experimental, since I've only
tried it on a handful of personal machines and with rather limited
subsets of data.  There are also known bugs which needed to be resolved.
   Essentially, this is the stage of ironing out really basic bugs and
missing capabilities which exist because I'm the only person who has
ever used the feature :-)  If anybody wants to try it out I would very
much appreciate feedback in mantis entries (or elsewhere!).

In the future I may well look at extending this functionality to save
individual objects/parts of regions (which would mean not replacing
everything already existing on reload), possibly saving multiple regions
in one file (to save having to save/reload each region individually) and
wouldn't compete with SI since you need region adminstrative access to
do it).

Regards,

--
justincc