[Opensim-users] Opensim Reliable Upgrade Instructions

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 2 19:52:31 UTC 2008

I wonder if the Opensim developers and user can assist to cerate a
definitive set of instructions for how to take a current Opensim
running environment and change it to a new version of the stable zip
file or the nightly build.

Openlifegrid.com and some discussion I initiated on te forum there
has the only notes I am aware of... which we can use as a start?

Can we do this for singe or multi-region standalone configuration and
for Grid mode as two clear sets of things to do and files to transfer
from the old to the new configuration.

It would also be something we would have to have clear instructions
form the development team for if a more extensive update required some changes.

Its similar when adding new openlifegrid library material in, which
says to delete the assets and inventory directories and replace them.
This will remove any customization of course... is a merge set of
instructions available?

All this becomes more important as Opensim reaches a level of
usability and maturity where some really significant content is in
the various environments as I am sure it already is now in some grids.

-------------------------

Upgrading Opensim

Note these are quick notes only. Never Delete your old Simulator
until you are happy with your new one.

** DO THIS BEFORE RUNNING THE NEW VERSION FOR THE FIRST TIME !! **

1. Extract the Opensim Zip to a new Location

2. From you old location copy:
    estate_settings.xml
    regionassets.yap
    AssetStorage.db
    InventoryStore.db
    OpenSim.db
    userprofiles.db
    \Regions\*

    to your new location.

3. If you have made a custom terrain you may want to consider
exporting the terrain for each region before update just in case.

    change-region <name>
    terrain save yourfilename.f32

    These can be loaded again by putting it in the base/root folder
and using the commands
    change-region <name>
    terrain load yourfilename.f32