[Opensim-users] FYI - Running OpenSim on Mac

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Sun Feb 10 17:14:43 UTC 2008

Scott T. Norman wrote:
> I've been able to get OpenSim to compile on 10.4.11 and 10.5.1 on my
> PowerBook G4 (PowerPC) and running but have not been able to get the
> SecondLife Viewer to connect. Diego Zamboni on his
> site, http://zzamboni.org/brt/, as been able to get OpenSim to work.
> He's running OpenSim on a MacBook Pro (Intel) with 10.5.1 and connect.
> So it may very well be issues with trying to run OpenSim on PowerPCs.
> Not  sure about the other servers if they work on the Intel Macs.
we are currently trying to get a fix on this. on PPC CPUs there is
indeed an issue with the terrain data being served back to the client
--- causing the client to crash on region connect. the interesting
observation is that a virgin OpenSim run (i.e., rm -f *.db before
starting) will generate the new terrain fine; saving it to a PNG file
and viewing that PNG file with gimp shows nothing suspicious. yet,
serving that terrain to the client will make it go boom. also,
restarting OpenSim will then make OpenSim choke on the terrain file.

preliminary conclusion: serialization is borked for big endian boxes (as
you wrote diego's box is intel).

    cheers,
    dr scofield

--