[Opensim-users] Consequences of vicinity

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Mon Dec 29 19:16:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

As we move opensim into a truly decentralized system, with things like
the Hypergrid, but also grids like OSGrid, it is important for people to
understand what space vicinity really means, and the consequences of
neighboring someone. I thought I'd write this in an email, to reach the
wider number of opensim users.

One of the main features of these 3D VWs is the continuity of 3D space
in a logical grid. That is, you are in a region but you can see the
things that are in neighboring regions, even when those neighboring
regions are running on machines half-way across the globe. You can cross
to your remote neighbors as if you were crossing to a region on your
machine, etc. That's all very nice, but...

This model is taken from massive multi-player on-line games *that are
controlled by single organizations*. Things need a lot more
consideration when we go to a decentralized control system. Let me
explain why.

The illusion of space continuity is achieved by spawning computations on
your neighbors' machines (and your neighbors' on yours). This is done
via inter-simulator communications, that start and manage what is known
as "child agents". There are a number of consequences of this:

1) As we work on inter-simulator communications, if your neighbors
aren't exactly on the same version of OpenSim that you are, things may
break badly for you.

2) For HG, if you place an hyperlink next to your region, it will create
child agents on that remote simulator. For example, if everybody would
place the UCI Welcome region as a direct neighbor, the poor UCI Welcome
region would have hundreds of child agents -- the number of
hyper-neighbors is not restricted to 8.

For the HG, distance is not enforced (yet), but it may very well be
enforced soon.

For grids like OSGrid, I strongly advise people who want some form of
stability while using SVN Head (ah!) to keep distance from their
neighbors. Inter-sim comms are about to go through a period of change.

Crista