[Opensim-users] Collada

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Dec 24 10:01:31 UTC 2008

Dzonatas kirjoitti:
> http://www.collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/Portal:Conditioners_directory
> I'd imagine you wonder about how to go from a mesh to a parametric model
> (if the external application doesn't support all the parametric data).

and back. i don't think there is a sensible way for such a roundtrip,
e.g. for bringing SL data to vanilla Blender for editing. what good
would prims converted to meshes do you in a modelling app? i guess you
can get them today with the meshmerizer if you want. but that way you
won't be able to edit them for loading back to SL, so i see no use.

> Blender could be extended to support the same parametric data that is
> used in SL/opensim. http://www.google.com/search?q=blender+parametric

that would be possible, if you really wanted to use Blender (or some
other app) for SL building, but not a small job.

> For example, maybe include a script in the DAE file that generates the
> mesh from the parametric data. The applications collada plug-in could
> run the script any time the parametric data is modified to regenerate
> the model. This is not too different of an idea from being able to store
> shaders in the DAE file, which exists now.

what would that script run against, and how would the parametric data be
modified?

it would in principle possible to include e.g. Blender script code
there, and make a tool for Blender that could edit that data. the major
2.5 refactor that's well under way should make it easier to do such
custom tools soon. but this all would be Blender specific, and would
have basically nothing to do with Collada anymore. it would be possible
to include that data in a DAE file, but i don't see any benefit there
really, as it would be a custom solution for dealing with a specific
kind of data (SL prims) in a specific application (Blender).

to summarize my understanding of these talks:

1. someone wanted a way to store objects from OpenSim to a file, to be
able to send them to people etc. AFAIK that exists with the current
serialization that has been in place for as long as i know, i don't know
what the UI for it is but have seen the code :) .. and heard that people
use it to put prims on the web etc.

2. Mikko Pallari and Adam Frisby have just now worked on a new version
of that serialization, that would not depend on versions of the OpenSim
code anymore (the previous code uses the automatic .net serialization so
changes in the code structure break backwards compatibility with old xml
files, but the new is made manually and decoupled from the code
structure so also old files should work with future versions of OpenSim.
i've been told that so far the code there hasn't been changed a lot
exactly to remain compatible with old data files).

3. Collada does not support SL data. The scene hierarchy could probably
be converted ok. For prim geometry data you could define own extensions,
using the <extra> tags, for describing the modelling like the custom
OpenSim format does now. This might work for opensim-to-opensim
transfers, but so does the own custom format so there'd be no benefit.
No other application would out-of-the-box know anything about those. If
someone wants to use a modelling app to work on SL prims, they could add
support for such a format in some existing parametric modelling app --
if it happens to be compatible enough with the SL model -- or add param
modelling / SL data support to e.g. Blender. But also here it might be
simpler to add support for the OpenSim format, than e.g. to modify the
Collada importer, to get SL support. Anyhow if someone does this kind of
work they are of course free to do as they see best. So far I don't see
anyone actually working on this, and it's not a small job either.

Someone asked for my strategy for dealing with 3d data. Well for us at
Playsign it's pretty simple, we have models made for games and some
other things, and the plan has been to keep everything in Blender
trusting that we can import anything and export to everywhere from
there. I've participated in Blender development myself so it's easy to
trust it. So far have used mostly Soya3d and Ogre, for which there are
direct exporters, and looked at e.g. Papervision3d (that would use via
the Collada export). There is also an Ogre importer. We don't use SL,
but are looking at Rex and working on it 'cause might be able to use it.

The SL prims and parametric modelling in general (procedural trees and
plants, but perhaps also cities and walls and whatnot) are interesting
though and there's very much potential for the richness of VWs there. I
don't know how good the SL model actually is, and hence how good it
would be have parametric modelling in Blender similar to that, or how
similar it is to whatever there is in existing procedural modelling
apps. Looking forward to learn more about that next year, but off for
holidays now! :)

cheers,
~Toni