[Opensim-users] the state of bots

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Sat Dec 13 02:12:36 UTC 2008

I had opened a mantis issue about the AddAvatars() part of
OpenSim.Regions.Examples.SimpleModule and Homer fixed
the run-time bug, but I still cannot see any sort of bot. This is
likely because it is a randomly generated UUID, so is
rendered invisible at least in standalone mode.

I also was not sure whether the current state of bots is:

  * The code base exists, but there is no tutorial/documentation, or
  * There is no code (i.e. has not been written)

It would seem to be the latter (?) because MyNpcCharacter.cs appears
to be a shell with an interface but no contents. Just for reference, here
are capabilities we are seeking to port what we have working with
openmetaverse in Second Life. Would others find these useful as
well?

1) LOGIN: Logging in an NPCavatar of a username and password (the appearance
    already having been created through "create user" and the usual
    interactive means, using the editing appearance GUI).

2) LOGOUT: Logging out of an NPCavatar.

3) MOVE: Moving the NPCavatar from point X to point Y using the walking
    animation

4) GESTURE/ANIMATION: Making the NPCAvatar initiate a gesture or
    animation.

5) TURNTOWARD: Making the NPCAvatar "turn toward" and face an object.

6) COMM 1: Sending a message to an arbitrary object in-world from OpenSim
    code (useful for sending messages to an object attached to an avatar).

7) COMM 2: Receiving (listening) for a message sent from an in-world object
    within the vicinity of the NPCavatar (useful for receiving messages
of objects
    near the NPCavatar).

-p

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick