[Opensim-users] WG: Opensim-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Sun Dec 7 15:25:13 UTC 2008

The problem here is, if an Admin wants to violate those rights, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop them. Right now, if I wanted to, I could write a permissions module that set everything in the sim full perms on rez. If this region was on a public grid, people could just rez their items there and get them full perm'd.

I know the suggestion about DRM has been made - but it doesn't work. The math behind it doesn't add up - your basically handing over a locked box, and the key, and then saying 'don't open it.' - if someone wants to abuse your trust, then it's quite possible to do so.

Better approaches need to be made - because there is a high degree of trust required for permissions to work effectively, and in a public environment, you cannot trust anyone.

Remote hosting is one such option - it allows you to keep your source code on your own servers and never transmit it. It won't work for some things (like vehicles) which require low-latency updates, but for other things it will be acceptable.

With regards to implementing a scheme which is known to be broken - the problem comes that people trust that scheme to be reliable. Consider the case of the internet - if SSL was known to be broken at the time it was deployed, there would be some serious ramifications and broken consumer trust right now. Internet commerce would probably cease to exist, or would resemble South Korea where encryption is handled via dodgy browser plugins that don't really work well.

I personally would not feel comfortable advertising a solution which is known to be broken, and advertising it as a reasonable fix. If we remove Second Life(tm) from the equation - and deal with OpenSim as a independent project aiming at being a fairly generic 3D internet server platform and not a SL clone, then the solution we propose should be one that stands up to the rigours of other internet standards. (I've spoken elsewhere at length about this, and proposed some alternatives.)

That is not to say we shouldn't support every model - the current 'permissions manager' in OpenSim is pretty flexible, some groups (like Legend City for instance) have it configured to be identical in behaviour to SL. Other groups have differing agenda's and different permission schemes.

Ultimately though, consumers and business will decide this one - the flexibility to pick and choose with OpenSim means that people will pick and choose, and then build whatever they deem to be the right solution - over time market forces dictate what model becomes the standard.

Adam