[Opensim-users] opensim migration strategy

John Hopkin opensim at jfhopkin.karoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 12:23:46 UTC 2008

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

>Ai Austin wrote:
>> Thanks for the up to date upgrading notes. Its an important topic to
>> document well.  Will you add this to the Upgrading Wiki page?
>
>It would be great if people could update the wiki page with this info.
>

>>> METHOD 1: If Using SQLite in StandAlone Mode
>>>
>>> 1. Build the latest version from source (or download the binaries)
>>> 2. Put this new installation in a new folder
>>> 3. Copy the following files from the old \bin to the new \bin
>>>    3a. All *.db files
>>>    3b. The opensim.ini file
>>>    3c. The \bin\regions XML files
>>> 4. Launch the new opensim.exe
>>
>> I see from my own previous upgrading notes that I also copy
>> over   "estate_settings.xml"
>>
>> Is this necessary, or will that be created automatically by
>> Opensim.exe and retain all the relevant information, previous region
>> UUIDs, etc?
>
>Ah you're right - estate_settings.xml should go across as well.
>>
>> Perhaps someone could also check if "estate_settings.xml" is
>> necessary when using MYSQL in StandAlone and/or Grid modes too?

Curious.  I'm using MySQL in grid mode, and as far as I can tell
estate_settings.xml not been modified by anything I've done since
installation, yet its modification date/time is from around the time
last night when I was changing terrain texturing details on one of the
four regions. The height data associated with terrain textures,
however, looks to be the default.

I've migrated the regions before, including a full reinstall when my
HDD failed, and only copied the following:

- OpenSim.ini
- Regions/*.xml
- OAR backup (through save-oar)
- MySQL backup (of opensim schema)

That went fine, and the regions were as I'd last had them, at least as
far as I know.  The UGAIM servers are OSGrid's, the platform Ubuntu
Linux 8.10.