[Opensim-users] opensim migration strategy

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Fri Dec 5 15:39:19 UTC 2008

 From one version of opensim to the next, what is the accepted migration
strategy?  In particular, what happens if someone changes an SQLite
or MySQL schema from one revision to the next? I tried METHOD 2
last night when going from r7320 to r7605, and it failed. Not sure why
yet...I ended up just creating new regions from scratch.

If someone can suggest a more efficient approach, that would
be great. Once it is down, we can put it in the wiki. It could go
under:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration

METHOD 1: If Using SQLite in StandAlone Mode

1. Build the latest version from source (or download the binaries)
2. Put this new installation in a new folder
3. Copy the following files from the old \bin to the new \bin
    3a. All *.db files
    3b. The opensim.ini file
    3c. The \bin\regions XML files
4. Launch the new opensim.exe

METHOD 2: If Using MySQL in StandAlone Mode

1. Build the latest version from source (or download the binaries)
2. Put this new installation in a new folder
3. Copy the following files from the old \bin to the new \bin
    3a. The opensim.ini file
    3b. The \bin\regions XML files
4. Launch the new opensim.exe

METHOD 3: If Using MySQL in Grid Mode

1. Build the latest version from source (or download the binaries)
2. Put this new installation in a new folder
3. Copy the following files from the old \bin to the new \bin
    3a. The opensim.ini file
    3b. The \bin\regions XML files
    3c. The 5 XML config files
4. Launch services in the following order: UGAIM + R where
    "R" designates the region server (OpenSim)

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120