[Opensim-users] toward a new client

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 15:17:34 UTC 2008

We are very sorry that there isn't a proper linux or mac version.
Unfortunately that was a conscious decision to concentrate our
resources in serving the greatest market share, and largely stemmed
from the fact that until I joined, no one in reX had ever developed
for Linux, and although we donated a Macbook to a developer, I am not
sure if even now anyone develops for Mac.

That said, there is actually very little stopping it from being cross
platform. From what I hear there was even a successful attempt to get
it compiling on linux at one time. However the LL codebase is a fork,
and thus a little difficult to work with. It is unlikely that the
current codebase will be cross platform without significant community
support.

We are currently looking at ways to remedy the problem of our current
convoluted codebase, and we look forward to releasing something cross
platform just as soon as we decide what to do about our viewer.

Cheers,